Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park is a public recreation and historic preservation area in White Pine County, Nevada, located 32 kilometres (20 miles) south of the town of Ely. The state park, with its 700 acres (280 ha), protects charcoal ovens that were built in the latter half of the 19th century.
Charcoal stoves are linked to the ghost town of Ward, Nevada, where silver mining began in 1876. Two newspapers, a school, a fire department, two smelters, and a stamp mill were present in the town during its heyday, which reached a population of 1500. The town’s population rapidly decreased following a devastating fire in 1883, which left one-third of the town in ruins. The postal service shut down in 1888. Mining in the 1930s and 1960s had a brief revival. Despite being situated in a low-lying area, the town has been devastated by a string of flash floods. The only things that remain are the smelter, mill foundations, and a cemetery.
Two miles south of the town, charcoal ovens are located. Remaining ovens are in good condition, measuring 9.1 metres tall, 8.2 metres in diameter, and 2.1 metres thick. The ovens were active between 1876 and 1879. Local masons, known as carbonari, were responsible for the creation of ovens made from quartz latite welded tuff.  This kind of excavation system was created to replace the open-pit excavation method which was originally conceived in Italy. The charcoal ovens at Ward used 30 to 60 bushels of charcoal per tonne of ore to smelt 16,000 bushels a day, using charcoal sourced from local wood. The Ward ovens in Nevada are the best-preserved examples of their kind. They were designated a historic site in 1971.
Until 1956, the ovens were privately owned and managed, but the Nevada State Park Commission was later granted a permit to preserve them. In 1968, two privately owned tracts were transferred to the Nevada Department of Wildlife. The following year, the state park system gained control of an additional 160 acres to establish a state monument. The park became a state-designated facility in 1994, after recreational features were added.
Camping, picnicking, and trails for hiking and mountain biking are all available in the park.